Saturday, December 16, 2006

Tis' the season







It's really hard to believe that Christmas is only nine days away. Every year I vow not to leave things to the very last minute, and this year I'm proud to say that I'm done my shopping. Well, almost, I still have a couple of things to buy for Trevor, but I know what I'm going to get , so knowing is half the battle. My biggest challenge is not the shopping or the planning, it's the wrapping. Anyone who knows me well knows that I could care less whether or not my gift looks pretty and is decorated beautifully. Christmas Eve has on several occasion seen me well into the holiday spirit ( or spirits) late at night wrapping gifts. Even now that I don't celebrate the way I used to, I usually end up cutting the wrapping paper too short to cover the gift and end up using a left over piece from another present I wrapped to make up the difference. What's the point? The wrapping paper is just going to get torn off in a big rush to see what's inside anyways? Well, that is unless you're one of those people who carefully unwrap presents, being oh-so cautious when peeling the tape back so the lovely paper can be re-used next Christmas.

I managed to get the house somewhat decorated a couple of weeks ago. Surprisingly, the decorations haven't been ripped apart, torn off the walls, or just plain destroyed by our little Angels. We have been in serious debate whether or not we should bother with a Christmas tree as Harrison thinks most decorations are either apples or bouncy balls. He's fascinated with my Mother's tree and has tried to eat a few of the red decorations while many of the others were tossed with great enthusiam with the hopes that they would bounce back to him. Unfortunately, the ones that didn't break upon impact just lay still upon the floor until wee David came squirming over to have a taste. This is another reason we are contemplating the Xmas tree. David is cruising now and we fear that he will grab hold of the tree and try to pull himself up. He's no lightweight either, I'm pretty sure he could pull a helpless tree that's not rooted into the ground down to his level. He also tries to eat EVERYTHING in sight. Your knees, Mama's chin,wood pellets, dirty shoes, remote controls are a favorite, any type of paper and of course, shiny tinselly Christmas decorations. I think I could handle trying to keep these away from him, but the pine needles that will fall on the floor might be another story. I guess we'll just have to do our best to keep those cleaned up and out of his mouth. As mean as I can be, I don't consider myself a Grinch and I couldn't imagine not having a Christmas tree. Trevor and I have decided that despite what common sense might dictate, we're going to get a tree tomorrow lights and decorations may end up being placed at least two feet above floor level, the presents might be ripped and squished and torn apart, my nerves might be tested on a whole new level, but at least I can say we had a tree to gather around Christmas morning. I'll be sure to post before and after pictures of the tree for everyone's enjoyment.
David spent a couple of days with his Grandparents in Blissfield this week and I'm happy to report he slept through the night for the very first time!!! He also discovered Frosty the Snowman and their Christmas tree. No fear of him tearing down their tree, it's about 20 feet high and 10 feet wide, bolted to the walls and absolutely beautiful.

Harrison and Mom got to spend some time alone this week too. Poor Harrison was pretty sick. He had a rotten cold and cough, throat infection and sore ears. He also picked up hand foot mouth disease ( or hoof and snout syndrome as I like to refer to it) from the daycare. We were house bound for the most part, but we did manage to get out to the park one afternoon when we was feeling better.

Some of the photos posted may be a bit blurry as they were taken with a camera phone.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home